Locks and Lavatories The architecture of privacy
Step through the doorway of your own home & discover its fascinating past. Today we jealously guard our privacy, but in previous centuries living was much more communal. How has this change been reflected in the layout & furnishings of houses in Britain? How has the single-room hut of prehistoric times evolved into the house of today, each room with its own function?
- how the medieval hall has shrunk to an entrance lobby;
- why bathrooms only became common in houses after the late 19th century;
- why separate servants’ quarters & staircases were created;
- why 3-legged stools were more popular than 4-legged ones;
- how labor-saving devices have transformed the home.
|Ilustracje||liczne kolorowe i czarno-białe|
|Okładka||miękka ze skrzydełkami|